Well, well…look at that I have already fallen behind on my promise. But who did I promise you, or myself? See, I told you I am not good at this. So I got day 1, 2 and 3 out and then slipped on the rest. So, when I am home tonight I will be posting to catch myself up to today, May 7, and then will try to stay on top of it from there. I honestly want to be better about blogging and writing I just need to make myself find the time to do so. I can use all the excuses, too: work, kids, home, life; but to be honest that is all they are is excuses and there is no reason for them. How does the saying go, excuses are like assholes and everybody’s got one….or wait maybe that opinions but it seems to work both ways.
I was born January of 1980. And although I don’t remember much about the first few years of my life; I do remember my toys and the cartoons. The toys and cartoons of my childhood were pretty spectacular and awesome. I often wish you could get the toys we use to have for our kids now. Sure there are some of the same like My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake and Transformers (to name a few), they don’t have the magic like the ones from our childhood did. Some of my many favorites included: Popples My Little Pony Carebears Muppet Babies GI Joe TMNT Original NES Girl Talk: Date Line Caboodles Polly Pocket Doug Fraggle Rock Rainbow Bright Strawberry Shortcake Alf Thunder Cats Jem & The Holograms She-Ra He-Man
This one is kind of hard to write. Not because I don’t have any failures because, I do. Because no one ever wants to admit a failure. Especially in a public format.
As I stated, I have had plenty of failure in my life. Is there one particular that stands out above another, not necessarily. I can think of many that were perhaps worse than another but none that stand out really.
Probably what I would consider a failure that I would change, and that I could change is not finishing college. Now, I need to make it clear that the reason I haven’t finished isn’t because I have failed college. I actually did quite well when I was going. But life has happened. Both times I have tried to return I have had to stop because I have become pregnant during my studies. After I had Alex in 2002, I went back to continue my courses and became pregnant with Sammi who was born in 2006. I just never went back after I had Sammi.
Now don’t get me wrong for one single second. I adore my children, and to me they are a much better achievement than a college degree. However; for my mom who would like me to have one, for my dad who I know wanted me to have one and most of all for myself I would like to have that degree.
Sometimes I wonder if it is worth it now that I am 35, then I hear of 90 year olds going back to school to get their degrees, and I think, “hell yeah it is!” It is just an achievement I would like to have regardless of when I achieve it.
Where would you like to be in ten years? I use to answer this question so generically. The way I thought the person asking the question wanted it answered. So if it was interviewing for a job, I would say something like, “still working for XYZ company…blah, blah, blah.”
Sometime in 2011, I started answering it by saying I couldn’t answer it because if life had taught me anything at all it was that you could not say where you would be or what you would be doing. I was very sure of that. At that point, I had moved three times already (from Houston to LA from to Florida) and had done so in about a 5 year period. I really didn’t know where I would be moving every two to two and half years. I wasn’t sure if I’d be anywhere in a year let alone ten years. That did not always go well with people, especially if I was trying to obtain a job with them.
Now that I look at this question a little more, I think it is the meaning of the question that you are supposed to answer and not the question itself. Not the I’d like to be living here and doing this as much as where you see yourself in that time.
So, where I’d like to be in ten years and where I may be in ten years is probably going to be quite different. But that is okay, as that is what life is about.
Where I’d like to be in ten years is content. Just content with life, with where I am living, what I am doing, and who I am as a person. I am not content with a few of those things currently; and honestly I hope I reach that stage of contentment long before ten years. I am not saying I am unhappy with life because that is not the case. There are just a few things I could be more content with than I currently am, and I would hope that in a ten year period I could obtain that contentment and allow myself to be fully happy the way I know I can and should be.
I haven’t posted or done anything with my blog since September 2014, and it wasn’t even really a post; it was pictures. My niece had visited from France in the summer and I was missing her that day, so I posted pictures from her visit. I keep saying that I am going to get better and blog regularly, then I don’t. I say these same things every time I decide to start blogging again, and then I just don’t. And then I blame myself and feel guilty for not blogging, which in return makes me not want to blog because it feels like a chore. I do enjoy it, that is the funny part. I feel better when I am writing and using my blog; even if it is for silly things. It is an avenue for me to get out feelings and make an expression. And honestly, I need that avenue.
I know a lot of why I don’t write is because I don’t feel I am a good writer. I don’t feel I have the caliber or charisma that some of the other bloggers I know have. Does that really matter though? This blog is supposed to be for me, not anyone else; and if you chose not to read it, there is nothing I can do about that. I am not looking for high volume and page rankings; if they happen, they happen. I am not going to turn them down if either comes my way. Another reason I don’t write, I don’t feel I have topics or that the topics I do have are stupid or silly. Again, does that matter if the blog is really for me? I know I chose to make it a public format, you the public can read if you want, think what you want.
So, to get myself started I found a 30 Day Challenge on another site. Some of the topics are a little cheesy but it will give me a starting point for my writing. Some of the topics will be simple answers and others will involve more depth. Bare with me while I try to get this going again. I plan to start this 30 Day Challenge on May 1st (I know May has 31 days, I will figure it out) and perhaps you want to join me. The challenge is as follows (I will post again prior to May 1st):
Day 1 – An Introduction
Day 2 – Where you’d like to be in 10 years
Day 3 – A Failure
Day 4 – Childhood Favorite(s)
Day 5 – Your Beliefs
Day 6 – 30 facts about yourself
Day 7 – Your zodiac sign and if you think it fits you
Day 8 – A moment you felt the most satisfied with your life
Day 9 – What you are reading or favorite book(s)
Day 10 – Discuss your first love
Day 11 – Put your music on shuffle and write the first 10 songs that pop up
Day 12 – reason behind your blog name
Day 13 – Somewhere you’d like to visit
Day 14 – Your earliest favorite memory
Day 15 – Blogs you follow
Day 16 – Your favorite music
Day 17 – Your highs of the past year
Day 18 – Your lows of the past year
Day 19 – Your parents
Day 20 – 10 likes & 10 dislikes
Day 21 – Your favorite show(s)
Day 22 – Have you changed in the past year?
Day 23 – Top 5 famous guys & Top 5 famous girls
Day 24 – Favorite Quote(s)
Day 25 – Your favorite movie(s)
Day 26 – Bucket List
Day 27 – A current problem
Day 28 – Something & Someone that you miss
Day 29 – Things you can’t live without
Day 30 – Your Goals
Resolutions for 2013
I make resolutions every year, some I keep and some I break. I wonder sometimes if I should make them because of the pressure to complete them. My husband calls them goals, and maybe if I looked at them that way I would achieve more of them.
So my goals for 2013 are as follows:
1. Health – every year, every month, every week I say I am going to eat better, exercise more….and for a short time I do but then I fall right back into the bad eating and laziness of not exercising. It is stupid cause I feel better when I eat better and exercise but it is easier to do and be the other way. Now with having diabetes my health is really a factor. So, my first goal for 2013 is to get healthy, all of us…no excuses, no laziness.
2. Family – Spend more time with my family instead of sitting on the couch on a Saturday or Sunday, I want to take more time to get out and do things with my kids and husband. Which leads me to my next one…
3. Parks – Visit every state park in Florida this year I want to visit every state park in Florida with the kids. Some I have been to but it has been a long time.
4. Faith – this year I will incorporate faith, God and church into our life more. I don’t want to be an occasional church goer anymore, and I want to instill faith in my children.
5. Organization – I say I am going to be better organized and stay less cluttered and 2013 is going to be the year it happens.
6. Friends – I will make more time for my friends this year. I live back in my hometown where a lot of people I grew up with still live yet I don’t take the time to make plans with them. That will change this year.
7. Charity – I will be more giving this year, and teach my kids this as well. I will help random people as well as give to my charities of choice in 2013.
8. Football – I love professional football. I know quite a bit but would like to know more and understand the game better. I’d also like to do fantasy this year, more then just the Perfect Challenge the NFL offers. And I would like to go to both a Miami Dolphin and Houston Texans game when the 2013 season starts.
9. Save – I will save more money this year. I will put myself on a budget, stick to it and put money in savings and away for retirement. I will get my kids to save more. I want to reestablish the envelope system and have them put money in for spend, short term goal, long term goal, save and charity.
10. Complete – this year I will start something and complete it. I will start 30 day challenges and not complete them. I will complete things this year.
We are four months into the year and my resolutions have both been kept and broken. Here is where I stand now with them. My resolutions for 2012:
1. Blog More – Well you all know how this one has gone….basically it hasn’t gone well. I say all the time I would honestly like to blog more and then I don’t. I am the only one to blame for that. There is plenty I could blog about to fill up at least four to five of the seven days of the week if not all seven.
2. Be better to myself – this is another one I have broke and I am paying for it. I take weight off, I put it on, I take it off, I put it on. I get active, I get lazy. I feel good about myself, I fall into depression.
3. Priorities – I am going to blame this one partially for why blogging more has fallen off my list. I have been trying to spend more time with my family, and have been. I have not kept up on some of the other priorities on my list such as being good to myself and incorporating faith and God more into our lives.
4. Give Back More – I have done some volunteering but not as much as I would like to.
5. Make new friends and reconnect with old ones – Reconnecting with old friends just seems to keep happening and reoccurring constantly for me. I am reconnecting with people I haven’t seen or spoken to in years and it feels good. Now to work on the making new friends part.
6. Take a family trip/vacation – I am working out a family trip (plans, budget, saving) for a trip to Hawaii in the summer of 2013. I am hoping it will all work out so that I we can go, looks good for now.
7. Put myself on a budget and STICK TO IT!!! – Still saving and investing, still not on a budget!
8. Be more organized and efficient – This has not been an easy one for me. I have become more efficient and organized at work but not at home or in my own life.
9. Date Night – Still keeping with weekly (or as often as we possibly can) lunches with one friend. Have spent time out with my girls. Try to go out with my husband (just us) or go out as a family for dinner. Sometimes we go to dinner as a family then the boys go to one movie and the girls go to another.